History of Durbanville

In 1825 a group of Tygerberg farmers requested permission from Lord Charles Somerset (the district governor of that time) to build their own church. The Dutch Reformed Church was commended in 1825 and inaugurated a year later. A small village grew between the church and the outspan and was called Pampoenkraal, now known as Durbanville. In 1836 the inhabitants of Pampoenkraal petitioned the Governor, Sir Benjamin D'Urban for permission to rename the Village D'Urban. Permission was duly granted and the new name persisted until 1886 when it was renamed Durbanville to prevent confusion with Durban in Kwa-Zulu Natal. A village management board was established in 1897 and a municipality in 1901.

The first mayor elected was John King. The village grew rapidly after the turn of 18th century and a local industry developed. The King Brothers Wagon Works was the most important component in the industrial development and their carts and wagons were known nationally.

Durbanville had its own court house, jail and magistrate from the 1870's and became a Magisterial District of Bellville. The court house complex still exists in altered form within the Rust-en-Vrede complex, originally erected in 1850.

Despite the fact that Durbanville has grown tremendously in the past 30 years, it retains a considerable individuality and character with a rural atmosphere and architecture.
About DurbanvillePlaces To See