The Synagogue

The old Synagogue situated at 6 Church Street, is a simple double-story building ornamented in the Byzantine Rivival style with a straight iron roof and a triangular front gable. The side windows and upper floor front windows have rounded heads and small panes.

The side walls are buttressed. The front wall has rustic plaster work and the set-back porch has side pillars and double front doors with glazed circular windows. The original building dates from c1875 and served as the Dutch Reformed Church hall of which only the walls and floor structure remain. It was rebuilt as a synagogue about 1927 and was leased to the Jewish Community until 1954 when they purchased the property.